Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Hush of the Land

My wife, Joyce returned to me August 4. On her flight home that day, she reflected on her nine days in the Montana Rocky Mountains Bob Marshall Wilderness  riding horseback on the trail, camping, and experiencing the wonders of God's creation and love.  Here are her reflections.

Sitting here on the plane, I know this trip was meant just for me. A gift from God. A spiritual renewal for me.

I can't say I "prayed fervently" every day, but I worshiped every day. Just praising God for the beauty, the sights, and His protection through the storms especially the time I was almost struck by lightning high up on the trail which split a tree and set it on fire.  To not be afraid for in Him, I found my strength. To see with my own eyes the "grander"work of the Creator God. Yes, it was my "Experience of the Best." How grateful I will always be for this.

I came to realize that love should be given away - for in giving you receive. God gives the beauty and wonder of the mountain wilderness, and I received.

I rode horseback about 86 total miles over my eight days in the wilderness according to Mark, our trail ride leader. I really enjoyed it. It was hard, but I enjoyed it. I lost weight. I don't know how much if any, but I am down to my last belt notch. So, I lost in inches for sure.

I gained a deeper respect for our forefathers and the courage and strength it took to settle the West. I talked with Sandy last night at dinner around the camp fire. Her husband was a Lutheran pastor, and she recently lost him due to Alzheimer's. She questioned if she had strength. I responded and told her that if she did this trip, she had the same stuff our forefathers did to settle this wild country. She did the same things - rode hard  and camped!  Yes, she had strength to face life without him. A weak woman couldn't have rode the trails and camped in a tent day after day.

So with the trip at its close, I have these reflections.

No matter where you are, God is with you.

No matter what, God directs your footsteps.

He is the Creator. His "Eden," His Earth" is proof.

He reminds us to acknowledge Him in all things.

His love for me is beyond my understanding.

His desire is to bless.

And most of all, I must do like Jesus, and on occasion, go to the "mountain" to reflect and to pray in order to reconnect so I can go back to the "valley" a stronger person - a person full of faith and love.
 
Being in the "wilderness" puts everything else away. It's you and the land and God - nothing else to distract you. There you can hear His voice in the "Hush of the Land."

Joyce went with the Bob Marshall Wilderness Outfitters owned by Connie and Mack Long who are also guides on the trip. Click this link for their Facebook page. 
 
Click this link with Rocky Mountain scenes and the beautiful hymn rendition of "For the Beauty of the Earth" performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or click the arrow on the imbedded video.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment