Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Who am I? I am a sheep.

Who am I?  I am a sheep. That's not a bad thing. As a sheep, I am intelligent because I have sense enough to stay with the flock for protection from predators. It's harder for a predator to pick me out if I stay with the flock, the true church.  A stray sheep is easy pickings.

As a sheep, I need a leader, a dominant sheep to follow.  In my case, my leader is the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd protects me from predators with His rod.  His rod is a comfort to me.  He can beat off a predator. In fact, He destroyed the predator, that wolf, who seeks to devour me.

My identity comes from who I follow. I follow the good Shepherd. He gives me my identity as His sheep. That's a good thing to know who I am.

I am in the fold of the Good Shepherd. He leads me to green pastures beside the still water where I drink the Water of Life. I can feed in abundance from the green pasture He provides which is life and nourishment for me. I never want.

I am content and happy.  I run and play in the pasture where he leads me. I am happy and filled with joy because I know the Good Shepherd looks after me and has my best interests at heart.

If I stray, he pulls me back into safety with His staff. And, His staff has rescued me from those times I strayed and fell off a cliff into a ravine.  He leaves the ninety-nine and pursues me until He finds me. He is not willing that I perish. When He finds me, he is happier about finding me than the ninety-nine that didn't wander off.  That's how much he cares for me!

I love my Shepherd. Why would I want to follow anyone or anything else as I have sometimes done seeking approval from others and wandering away like I once did?  I wanted to be a successful pastor.  A big shot pastor. I tried to be in their flock, but the Good Shepherd had other plans. That's not who I am. Now I know His plans for me are best!

I am thankful He never quit seeking me and that He found me and brought me back into His flock because He chose me to be His sheep. I am His sheep. Content.  Happy. Grateful to be who I am.

Moreover, the Lord has called me and made me a shepherd, a pastor, and given me a small flock to care for and tend.  Together, we follow the Good Shepherd who leads us, provides for us, protects us, and loves us. He is the Paschal Lamb who gave his life for me, for us, that we might live in His abundance and live forever!

Who am I?  I am a sheep.  I worship the Good Shepherd with gladness. I sing joyful songs. After all, He made me.  He knew me before I was even born!  He called me.  I hear His voice, and He opens the gate to let me into safety for the night.  He watches me in the night and keeps me safe. What have I to fear?

I come through the gate He opens for me with thanksgiving and praise for my Good Shepherd! He is good to me.  He is always faithful to me unlike others I have followed who abandoned me when I needed them the most.

Who am I?  I am a sheep. O praise His name. Glory to the Good Shepherd. His love for me endures forever!  

No comments:

Post a Comment