Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Who am I? I am a bride.

I have a hard time understanding my identity as bride. But, that's the identity Christ gives me. I have to really ponder on this one.

It's much easier for a woman who has been a bride or for a woman engaged to marry. But for me, I always identify with the groom. I've been one. Moreover, I lead the groom and groomsmen out when I officiate a wedding. Groom? Yes. Bride? No. Not me.

I guess it's hard for a woman to identify with soldier even with a co-ed military. Paul says I am a soldier.  Even though I've never been a soldier, I can still identify with soldier.  My dad was in the Air Force in World War II and Korea, and my son was in the Air Force.  Yea, I can identify with soldier.

But bride?  That's hard, but that's the identity Christ gives me.

I got to thinking about this because of a wedding I officiated Saturday.  You know, a wedding is all about the bride.  Kind of like having a baby. Us men know nothing about that.

The bride was adorned splendidly. She had the perfect dress. Her make-up was impeccable.  Her hair was perfect.  She was and is beautiful!  No wonder the groom smiled big when she began her walk down the aisle!  Joy shined from his face.  His heart skipped a beat with happiness. His one and only. I was thankful to be there to tie the knot of holy matrimony. Weddings are one of the funnest things I do.

Jesus enjoyed weddings too. At the wedding in Cana, the wine ran out. How can the party keep going with out wine?  But, there was nothing to worry about. His mother knew how to fix the problem and keep the party going. She went to her Son, and told him to keep the party going. Keep the good times rolling.  He was a little exasperated with his mom.  He wasn't ready to reveal who He really was and is.  Yet, he acquiesced and obliged her.  Man did He oblige her!  Out of those 20 large pots of water, He made about 140 gallons of wine.  Not just ordinary wine, mind you.  It was fine wine.  Better than the caterer had brought.  No doubt, the joyous reception continued on until the wee hours of the morning.  Now that's a wedding party!  Everyone happy. Maybe even a little tipsy. Joyous. What a celebration a wedding is!

Well, back to my identity as a bride.  My marriage to my Groom is a festive occasion.  I want to look splendid and all doodied up for my wedding.  I have made myself ready.

Those at the wedding rejoice. Lots of gladness at my wedding. I have been given by my Father fine linen, bright, and clean for me to wear.

I am adorned with the fine linen from my righteous acts as one of God's holy people.

And why wouldn't I want to adorn myself with righteous acts for my Groom?  To keep myself pure and spotless from the filth of the world.  The filth of immorality, dirty deeds, and to cleanse my self from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit. I've never seen a dirty or nasty bride. I've seen poor brides, but they had on their best outfit.  Nope, my Groom doesn't marry a dirty bride.  He probably would run out the door if I came down the aisle in tattered, unwashed clothes without make-up, and with her hair all gnarled in a mess.

Me?  I am clean for my Groom. I've been washed through and through. I'll make my promise  of betrothal to Him with a good conscience.   No guilt or shame can be found in me.  My Groom has forgiven my past and now accepts me for who I am.

Who am I ?  I am His bride. He has made me pure and spotless and acceptable to Him.

That's me coming down the aisle.  If you look at the platform, you will see my Groom  He's smiling.  Happiness radiates from His face.  His delight is obvious to all.

After all, I am His beloved.  He loves me enough to die for me.  He cherishes me.  He is elated over me.  He made me who I am and made me just for Himself to enjoy life with me and me with me.

So, I stand there beside Him, arm in arm, and make my vow to love and cherish Him. To honor and be faithful to Him, for richer or poorer, for better or worse, and in sickness and in health. But the really neat thing about my vow is that it's not till death do us part.  It is forever and ever!

So, I hope to see you at my wedding and the reception party that follows it.   And boy, are we going to party and eat and eat and party and dance too.  The angel band is providing the music.  The music will be heavenly.     

Let the festive party begin!  We're going to celebrate 10,000 years, and that's only the beginning!

I hope and pray you get an invitation from my Groom to attend my wedding. And, I want an invitation from Him to your wedding too!

No comments:

Post a Comment