Thursday, April 10, 2014

My Approval Rating

Politicians live and die by their approval rating. Approval ratings are
like a weather vane. A weather vane is an instrument for showing the direction of the wind.  If public opinion is blowing to the left, the politician will point left in order to gain approval. That's why they change their positions. Very few politicians have the courage to stand on their personal convictions of what is right and wrong.  Their positions are based on what their constituents or the public wants. They just blow with the wind!  They do this because they know that a bad approval rating dooms their chances for re-election.

Furthermore, approval ratings are based on the publics perception of how well or how poor they are performing in carrying out their tasks of voting, representing the concerns of their district, state, or nation, and being dutiful to their tasks.

We are no different than politicians. I know that I'm not.  We love and need the approval and affirmation of others. We yearn to be accepted. Approval gives us a sense of self-hood.  A feeling of belonging. Acceptance makes us valued and esteemed. It's one of our deepest emotional needs.

Like the politician, our approval and acceptance by others is based on our performance and performance history. One of the many jobs I've had in my life was working for a short time at a finance company. Loans were based on three criteria: predictability, ability, and dependability based on the client's credit history and current income. Approval for the loan could be denied if just one of those criteria did not meet the standards of the loan company.

Like qualifying standards for a loan, meeting and exceeding performance standards generally leads to acceptance and affirmation. This is true in job evaluations and also in personal relationships. Everyone has implied standards and expectations in a relationship. If the other person does not meet the implied standards, then he/she is likely to reject the other person. Just think of the marriages that end in divorce. One or both spouses feel that the other is not meeting their needs. Or to say it another way, their standards. 

Human standards are always changing just like what people expect of their elected officers. Like the wind, expectations and standards change. Job standards change. I know when I taught in the public school, the educrats had nothing better to do than sit in their ivory towers and think of more standards and more training for us to go through in order to keep our jobs. And what about the students?  Standards constantly change for them too. They have to pass this new standardized test or that new academic benchmark.  High School students need more and more Carnegie units to graduate from high school. It's maddening.

And like job and education standards change, so do expectations and "standards" change in relationships.

It seems to me that we are always lacking in performing up to the expectations of others whether it be an employer, school system, spouse, friend, or the public. There are always critics throwing darts at us.  When enough people join the dart-throwers, a person experiences rejection. 

So, it's futile to seek approval and affirmation from others to build our sense of self-worth and to feel that we are a person of value. It's like trying to catch the wind in your hand.

We have been conditioned by the world's outlook and value system for approval from the wrong sources. We are tilted towards the world's way of thinking.

It's like the Christians in Corinth. They gained their approval and significance from man. Some got their significance from Paul.  Others from Peter.  And still others from Apollos. (1 Corinthians 3:1-4). Paul considered this infantile or very immature. Why?  Because receiving our identity, significance, and approval from others is useless.

I know this firsthand. I speak from experience. I sought the approval and affirmation of anyone who I related to. Friends, colleagues, principals, students, church committees, and denominational leaders. At times, my approval rating was high. I felt on top of the mountain. I felt like SOMEBODY!  I was approved, accepted, affirmed, and the accolades poured in.

But invariably, my approval rating fell. My performance didn't meet expectations. Or, I lost my temper in front of others. Sometimes, it was my fault. One thing I found out, people's acceptance is conditional. They couldn't accept me with all my scratches and dents.  There is not much room for imperfection especially with the incessant changing of expectations and standards that were placed upon me in various relationships and jobs. During those times that I fell into the valley, I don't think I could have been elected dog-catcher if I were a politician.

During those time when my "approval rating" hit bottom, I became depressed, sulky, and misery followed me like a stalker in a dark alley.

My emotions were up and down like a yo-yo. When they were down, they were really down. When I looked up, I couldn't even see the stars. That's what happens when you base your self-worth and approval rating on the fickleness of man. It's a wretched way to live.

I thank God that He didn't give up on me. Like morning's first light, then the dawn, then the mid-morning light, and finally the noon sun shining bright, Christ slowly revealed to me the better way until He brought me into a fuller revelation of His glory.

My addiction to the world's way of gaining positive approval ratings was broken into a thousand pieces.  Christ revealed to me that my life means much more than what success and approval from others can bring. I realized that by basing my self-worth on "approval ratings" that in effect, I was saying that their approval was more highly valued by me than Jesus' love, acceptance, and approval. He forever demonstrated his love and acceptance of me through His pain, suffering, and death on the cross (Romans 5:6-8).  The cross is His reconciling act for me and you. Through the cross, he extends grace and sonship. He brings us to a Himself. 

Because of our Lord's reconciling act on the cross, I am completely acceptable to God (Ephesians 1:6) and approved by Him no matter what I do or don't do.  His standard is that He loves me regardless of my successes and failures.  And, that standard never changes. NEVER! 

I am in a love relationship with the Lord which is not determined or based on my performance.  I meet and exceed His standards not based on anything I do or don't do but because of His measureless grace. If I could measure the length, breath, and depth of the universe, I still could not measure His grace. If I could count the sands of every seashore, I still could not measure His mercy.  If the sky were paper, I would not have enough ink to write about His love for me. 

Living on the roller coaster of my approval ratings?  No more! I think I finally understand what the prophet, John the Baptist, meant when He introduced the Christ by saying, "Every valley shall be filled.  Every mountain brought low" (Luke 3:5). For me, it means whether my "approval rating" is in the valley or as high as the mountain, my emotions will always be leveled out because I have a 100 percent approval rating from the One who matters most!

Continue your devotion and worship of the Lord by listening to "I Will Run To You" by Darlene Zscheck and HillSong. Click on the link or the arrow to play it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s2wCVcmYOU

No comments:

Post a Comment